How to connect to Controllogix 1756 through Ethernet cable

RSLinx, RSLogix, RSView, LogixPro ...
Romaru

How to connect to Controllogix 1756 through Ethernet cable

Post by Romaru » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:57 pm

Hello guys. I don't have expirience in things like this. Help me plz. I have a PLC AB Control logix 1756. It have Ehternet/IP slot, which shows IP adress 1.1.1.2. I need to connect to PLC from PC to download programm.
I've made a driver "Ethernet devices" in RSLinks. Wrote IP 1.1.1.2 in driver. RSWho shows Undentified device or something like this.
I've tried to plug ethernet cable to Ethernet slot in chassis and in switch - it doesn't matter. I don't have now RS232. So it will be very good if you explain how to solve this case.
Thanks.

neuhauser

Re: How to connect to Controllogix 1756 through Ethernet cab

Post by neuhauser » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:55 am

I'm guessing your Ethernet card is a 1756-ENBT or ENT2. Your driver in RSLinx Classic should be the Ethernet/IP not the Ethernet devices. There isn't any configuration for the driver on the plc side. You can select which of your Ethernet ports on your pc to use if needed.
Once the driver is running you should be able to "browse" the network under the Ethernet/IP driver using "RSWho". You can use a crossover cable if the Ethernet card isn't on a network switch.
The card should show up as the ENBT, ENT2, etc. You can right-click on the Ethernet card and be able to bring up a configuration to change the IP address if needed.
There should be a "+" box beside the Ethernet card. Clicking on it should show the back-plane and further down the cpu.
In Logix5000 go to the comm tab, open the driver, drill down to the cpu, and select "Upload"
Make sure you're using rslinx classic 2.8 or better. Also your version of logix5000 must match the processor firmware. If the processor is v21 you'll have to have RSLinx 3.6

Make sure the ethernet port on your PC is configured for the same subnet as the plc ethernet card.

Romaru

Post by Romaru » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:19 pm

Thank you for detailed response. You helped me to solve problem. Actually laptop couldn't find it because it had IP adress like 192.168 etc. And PLC has 1.1.1.2. I do not familiar with principles of networking so I did not know that it was impossible to connect with difference masks. Thanks again=)

But I've met a next problem. I was not able to upload programm because RSLogix 5000 on laptop has 17... revision and software in PLC has 19... revision. And when I have tried upload RSLogix showed an error about different revisions.

English is not my native language and it's hard to find now how to use google in this questions. So it will be helpfull if you give me few more answers or links where I could find detailed answers.
Here questions begin:

1. How to make sure do I have a Licensed Software (RSLogix5000) on my laptop or crack vesion without risks to lose programm?
Because we have the same PLC on another production line which has version 17....
And because we have this programm only in one laptope (RSLogix enterprise) and nobody knows where did we get this laptop. Maybe our contractor who assembled the line left it to us.

2. Where to read about different revisions compatibility? Because if I update the programm on laptop from 17 to 19 revision I am not sure that I will be able to work with our old line with 17... revision . And maybe I will have to update its mainprogramm too? What the cosequences may follow?

Thanks again

neuhauser

Post by neuhauser » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:28 am

You can install version 19 along side of the existing version 17. The activation depends on one of two types. If the laptop is activated by the older EVRSI then all you have to do is install version 19. Open Logix5000 and open the about rslogix5000 under help. Copy the serial number and use it when you install 19. (most likely the serial will already be filled in when you start the install.)
Don't convert the activation to FactoryTalk if asked.
If the activation is the newer FactoryTalk activation then the software has to be activated through the Rockwell web site.

There are a couple up ways to check the activation type. Under the Rockwell software menu there is a utilities group. Run the program EvmoveW.exe and select the program drive (C, etc.) for the activations to be moved. If there are any EVRSI activations they will show up in the list. Also there will be a hidden file evrsi.sys in the root of the drive - "C:\evrsi.sys"

If FactoryTalk Activation is installed then the FactoryTalk Activation Manger will show the activations on the PC.
Logix5000 version 19 was the last version that supported EVRSI. All versions after only support FactoryTalk. Search the forum and you will find information on how to bypass FactoryTalk if needed. It's not easy if you haven't done any Hex edits before but I'm sure plenty of people here will help you.

Romaru

Post by Romaru » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 pm

neuhauser, thank you very much for help. I will move forward and check all you advice=)